Wesleyan Slated to Literally Run Middletown
Matthew "I Live in PAC Lab" Lesser writes in:
"Just wanted to let you know that for the first time ever, FOUR Wesleyan people are running for elective office this year in Middletown, in municipal elections that will be held two weeks from now, on Tuesday November 6.
All four of us are Democrats.
I am running for Planning and Zoning Commission (I don't think a student has ever run for anything before).
Bill Boyd, husband of Professor Joyce Jacobsen (Econ Dept) is running for re-election to the Board of Education.
Renee Johnson-Thornton, Assistant Dean and Associate Coordinator of Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship Program is running for Board of Education as well.
and Grady Faulkner, the father of Lesley Faulkner '11 is a city councilman running for his first election.
Wesleyan students can and should vote in local elections -- whether we like it or not, we're part of the Middletown community. The voter registration deadline is Tuesday, so if you want to vote you must register by then.
Reasons students should vote:
1. Diversity -- the Republicans as usual are a bunch of old white guys. We're not.
2. The environment.
- a. There's a referendum on the ballot to raise $4 million to buy open space in Middletown to protect it from the WalMarts of the World.
3. To show Wesleyan matters. We may have activist students, but if the city government is dominated by right wing fanatics hostile to Wesleyan, your activism will get a lot less done.
- b. Every developer who wants to buy, build or tear down anything in this city has to come to the Planning and Zoning Commission for approval. When I'm on the Commission, I will look very hard at the impact of development on the environment, on working families and on Wesleyan students.
But I'm already registered to vote in my home state?
Not a problem. You can re-register at Wesleyan, and re-re-register at home when you'd like. It's actually a piece of cake.
Just don't vote twice in the same election, because then you're talking about felony charges. Also, registering at Wesleyan gives you the chance to vote in the Presidential Primary on February 5.
Where do I register to vote?
Two options:
1. Outside of Usdan Marketplace there should be people with forms.
2. If nobody is outside Usdan Marketplace, go the Registrar's Office in North College. They have forms and will turn them in for you.
JUST REMEMBER -- IF YOU WANT TO TO VOTE, YOU MUST REGISTER BY TUESDAY"

8 comments:
Good luck Matt. You have my vote, but don't go running your mouth when you don't have the facts. Check out www.caterwauled.blogspot.com, if you want to see what I mean.
Wow, that's so cool, a Wesleyan student running for office! We rock.
Interesting discussion Lesser vs McKeon! See also today's Right of Middle.
if i registered to vote in CT last year, do i have to re-register this year?
If you registered to vote in CT last year, you're awesome and don't have to do anything.
can you register in CT, not unregister at home, and decide which election to vote in?
Do you know anything about absentee ballots? Sigh, I'm almost definitely too late for that. Darn, I suck.
Well, technically your home state should un-register you if you register in Connecticut (and you'd need to register again), but realistically that very rarely happens and you're probably fine being registered in two places... as long as you only VOTE in one.
Post a Comment